Post Secondary Scholarship Fund
Launching for the first time in 2018, Abbotsford Fish and Game Club is offering a Post Secondary Scholarship Fund to Members of the Club. The objective is to encourage academic excellence and the pursuit of higher education among the membership of the Abbotsford Fish and Game Club.
Number, Value and Duration Of Scholarships
Up to 3 scholarships will be available either at the diploma level, Bachelor degree or at the professional degree level (e.g. MBA, Education, Law, Medicine), as follows:
- $4,000 for first year applicants
- Potential for up to $2,000 in subsequent years based on academic performance (must have a minimum of 75% average for all courses based on a full course load) to a maximum of 4 years total eligibility. Amount awarded will be based on funds available to allocate from AFGC versus number of applicants reapplying.
- Must be a current member or child of a current member of AFGC (associate members not eligible) in good standing for a minimum of 5 years to apply.
- Must maintain membership status for eligibility in subsequent years.
- Must be entering post-secondary education in the upcoming fall semester and registered for a full time course load at a University, College or Technical Institute.
- Must be a resident of BC.
Field of Study / Program Requirements
- There are no restrictions on the program of study or discipline.
- Post-secondary program must be a minimum of 2 years in duration.
- University preparatory programs in any jurisdiction are not eligible.
A committee of at least 4 AGFC Board Members, each with a minimum of 5 years of service at AFGC, makes the selection of scholarship recipients. The Co-chairs for this committee will be Life Members Ian Baird and Robert Engh.
- Academic performance (provide copy of most recent transcript, showing minimum last two years of grades);
- Volunteer/community involvement and/or extracurricular activities;
- Quality and relevance of recommendation in the reference letters (two sealed letters submitted or emailed directly to email@example.com – one from a high school teacher/administrator and one to be a character reference). The reference should be familiar with your volunteer, community involvement, leadership and/or extracurricular activities;
- Answers to the following two essay questions (max. 500 words each):
- Explain how receiving this scholarship would impact/influence your decision to pursue post secondary education.
- What has being a member of the AFGC meant to you and what opportunities has it provided?
All applicants will receive confirmation by email that application has been received and also the results of the selection process, once available.
Successful Applicants / Payment
Successful applicants will receive confirmation of their scholarship in early July. Recipients will have two weeks to confirm acceptance of award and forward any required documentation such as official transcript and proof of registration from educational institution they will be attending.
Payment (via cheque) will be made to successful applicant by mail no later than August 10th of the year of application. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that payment of tuition fees is made within the defined time frame set by the educational institution regardless of the timing of the scholarship payment.
The intention for this scholarship is to be used for tuition, residence fees and/or books. There may be exceptions to this, but must be approved by the committee prior to release of funds.
Submit the following via email or regular postal service:
- A fully executed scholarship application form (sign and date); downloaded below;
- Two letters of reference;
- Answers to the two required essays;
- Current transcript (contains minimum of last two years of education).
Email applications submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Must be received no later than the application deadline of May 15, 2018.
Paper applications sent by mail to the following address (must indicate a postmark of no later than application deadline of May 15, 2018):
Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
Attn: Scholarship Committee
4161 Lakemount Rd.
Note that all supporting documents (reference letters and transcript), whether submitted by email or regular mail, must be received by no later than May 31, 2018.